Wednesday, April 14, 2010

So what has this Wanna-be even been doing for the past year?

Here we go, a little update on my search:

I graduated April 2008 with an Honours bachelors degree in Psychology, and then in April 2009 with a Post Graduate Certificate in Public Relations. From there I started my never ending journey.

What did I do first? CUBA! Well come on, I had been in school for a solid 17 years and I needed some fun, some sun and some strong drinks! Who knew that when I came home the real fun would come, ha!

I started to search online for jobs, being picky at first of course. I thought that since I had gone through so much schooling and was just awesome in general I would have people just handing me jobs. EEERRRR wrong.
My first interview was with head hunter, I had 3 hours of testing and then finally a personal interview. I thought, wow why are people complaining I already got an interview and I'm so fresh, this job thing is a sinch! But then I found out I was wrong. They didn't want me, and no one would for a long time.

So I continued, applying to jobs, networking etc. Then came the flood, no not the flood of people wanting to hire me, the literal flood. My house was flooded with 2 ft. of sewer water and everything I had known was lost. I was devastated. I had to move in with not only 1 boyfriend, but 3 boys, THREE! It was hard to say the least, but they have become like brothers. Brothers who sometimes drive you mad, but brothers just the same.

On with the hunt. Luckily for me an old boss of mine is just amazing. She offered me the chance to create a position and do what I love for the business she runs, giving me a resume and experience boost and an income to boot.

So it was 5 months and there were no real jobs coming my way, so what did I do? I took off! In a good way of course. I decided to take the opportunity of having so much time to complete some of my travel dreams and take the trip of a lifetime. I went to England, Scotland (where my family is from), and Belgium. It was an amazing month and I am so fortunate that I was able to do it.

November came too fast and the reality of unemployment hit again. So I bit the bullet and went back to waitressing. Christmas was coming, I was living on my own now and I needed some sort of income. Thankfully that was far easier to come by than my actual career.

I continued on my hunt, receiving interviews here and there but still not being giving my big break.

However with the spring also came the job opportunities. Almost immediately following March 21st I had the interviews piling up just as fast as flip flops were being introduced too soon. I thought for sure employers would love Jenni Mac. Well so far this is not the fact, as I have simply heard "we really liked you...but we had to go for someone with more experience, sorry", more than I ever have in my entire life. But still I truck on.

So what now? Keep on applying! Apply even where there are no jobs, no postings, no sign of life, just apply everywhere! This is what I will be doing until I have great news to report.


Till then apply your heart out
xo

PR Wanna-be

No comments:

Post a Comment